If you’ve ever spent any time researching what exactly is the right type of hair product for you, you understand how frustrating this can be. After all, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to haircare. Even when you break it down into specific needs, such as “for thin hair” or “for curly hair,” there are still so many other factors to consider. To imply that all people with thin hair or curly hair have the same needs is unrealistic, and many people go through their lives testing brand after brand, never finding one that permanently meets their changing hair care needs. Well, that’s changing, and Prose is one company that’s challenging the way people shop for hair care products.
Prose is a haircare brand that puts you in charge of the product, customizing each item to meet your specific needs with shampoo, conditioner and any styling products you may rely on. Many factors go into finding a personalized match, and Prose takes into account considerations such as your natural hair type, your lifestyle, your habits concerning how you style your hair each day, and more. They even consider where you live, as the climate has a lot to do with the health of your hair.
If you struggle with maintaining healthy hair, or even if you’re curious about whether you’re treating your hair as you should, read this Prose review to see if the brand lives up to its promises, and whether customized hair care is worth the investment.
What Sets Prose Apart?
As you can probably tell when standing in the haircare aisle at your typical store or even salon, it is obvious that — no matter how specific a brand tries to be when marketing its products — haircare is designed to appeal to as many consumers as possible. After all, the more people that buy a product, the more money the brands make.
In contrast, Prose differs from all those brands in the way it offers customized haircare for individuals. Not only is it customized, but it changes with your needs over time, even if you don’t realize what your needs are. That’s the job of Prose, which stands by the belief that everyone deserves extraordinary hair care (and care in general), and customization is the only way to provide great results.
Prose Company Info
Prose is an online company that offers highly individualized haircare products. They do this by offering an online consultation to their customers, during which they ask about their hair and their scalp needs. This is a very thorough consultation that takes many things into account. Although its research and development team is based out of Paris, all of the products are made-to-order in New York and backed with a satisfaction guarantee.
The Prose R&D team routinely updates its products and ingredient combinations seasonally to match the conditions in their customers’ zip codes. They also ensure to tweak each order according to customer reviews so results are constantly improving. Prose custom haircare evolves with your needs!
Prose is also a certified B Corporation. That means they use sustainable methods to create their haircare products. Prose packages and ships their products in apothecary-style plastic bottles with their customers’ names on the label. This feature isn't necessary, but it's a quirk of Prose that's quite nice and reassures you that the product was made just for you.
Also, each order comes with a leaflet that lists application instructions and the product’s unique ingredient list. Each order also comes with a pump that connects to the bottle. In the interest of sustainability, customers have the choice to opt-out of receiving the pump entirely or receive it once and then reuse the same pump for future orders.
How Does Prose Work?
It all starts on the Prose.com website.
- The first thing Prose will ask you to do is verify your email address, which they use to save your answers.
- The next step is to answer the questions in the hare care questionnaire. There are about 25 of them and, as mentioned previously, they are rather thorough, so you should allow yourself enough time to answer the questions without feeling rushed. The questions will relate to your age, how you style your hair, how often you wash and style your hair, whether you blow-dry your hair and how often, your hair’s texture, your scalp conditions and more. They may even ask how often you exercise and what your average stress level is. You’ll also be asked what your main goals are regarding your hair.
- The next question is about your customized formula and whether you have a preference for making it gluten-free, vegan or silicone-free.
- Finally, you’ll be given seven fragrance options and asked to choose which one you prefer. Or, you could choose no fragrance at all.
- The next step is to read your results from Prose, which uses five different factors to rank your hair characteristics: sensitivity, sebum, flakes, dryness and damage. For example, your sensitivity rating may be 70/100 with a recommendation for a soothing ingredient in your product suggestions.
- Lastly, you’ll be given the option to make some purchases based on your results. If you choose the “subscribe and save” option, you’ll receive a 15% discount.
When do you start noticing results with Prose hair care products?
To allow your scalp and hair to acclimate to the new products, Prose recommends between five to seven uses. That being said, you might notice a difference immediately. Still, you should see how your body reacts to make an informed decision.
Does Prose offer free samples?
Because every product is made-to-order, there is no way for Prose to offer free samples. However, customers who are wary of investing in the products can rest assured that they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Can you return a Prose hair care product if unsatisfied?
Yes. You can get a refund on any haircare product purchased from Prose, providing you email email@example.com with your request within 60 days of the shipping date, including your order number and reason for your return. After you send your email, Prose will respond with a prepaid shipping label for you to use to return your product. Alternatively, you can request a reformulation if you want to give their pre-shampoo mask, shampoo or conditioner another try but with a new formula. Try using the product at least five times before considering returning your product, however.
Does Prose offer any subscription discounts?
Yes. Prose offers a 15% discount on every order, provided you commit to a new Prose order every one to three months. Prose allows you to cancel your subscription any time via your “My Salon Membership” in your Prose account. Alternatively, you could pause your order and still maintain eligibility for all of your Prose Salon benefits.
Prose Pros and Cons
- Individualized haircare for your needs
- Easy ordering process
- Subscriptions save customers money
- Excellent customer reviews
- Products are pricey
- May take trial and error to perfect results
Overall Prose Review - 4/5
All-in-all, Prose is an interesting concept for those looking for more personalization when it comes to their hair care. Most customers are pleased with the way Prose is willing to work with them to find a result they are happy with.
That said, the cost is a bit high, making it difficult for some customers to justify purchasing long-term. Still, you can get a 15% Prose discount if you become a member and subscribe to a regular delivery of products.
In the end, Prose is certainly worth checking out if you haven’t found a hair product that you are happy with. It is especially beneficial to people with allergies and other sensitivities as they offer fragrance-free and silicone-free formulas.